Newest Box In Series: The Complete On The Corner Sessions (#8)
Columbia/Legacy Jazz presents The Complete On The Corner Sessions, the next chapter in the 8-time, Grammy-winning deluxe box set series.
"I got everybody in the band but the devil on tambourine." - Miles Davis
This box set tells the compelling story of a three-year odyssey of genre-defying innovation that rocked the jazz establishment. In addition to core band members Michael Henderson, Pete Cosey, Mtume, Dave Liebman, Reggie Lucas and Al Foster, Miles Davis brings in another 20 hand-picked musicians between 1972 - ‘75, each bringing their own musical influences to the group’s sound. Miles again sets new standards, creating an unparalleled legacy.
From the new box set liner notes (read complete notes in the set’s 120-page full color booklet):
“When we recorded In Concert: Live At Philharmonic Hall, that was the first time I realized the divide that Miles was creating. When we finished that night, all the audience could do was stare. Young people were in awe because they were introduced to a new music that had never been heard before. The old jazz fans of his were confused; some of them were actually angry. After that concert, a critic – I can’t remember his name – ran up and said, “Miles, every move you’ve made musically, I’ve been there. But I can’t get to where you’re at now.” Miles looked at him and he said, “What the f*** am I supposed to do, muthaf***ah, wait for you to get there?” … Mtume
BOX SET HIGHLIGHTS:
* A collection of over 6 1/2 hours of music covering Miles’ studio recordings from ’72 to ’75 – including 12 previously unreleased tracks!
* Features Michael Henderson, Al Foster, Mtume, Dave Liebman, Sonny Fortune, Carlos Garnett, Herbie Hanc***, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Reggie Lucas, Pete Cosey, Jack DeJohnette, Billy Hart, Badal Roy, Don Alias, Bennie Maupin, Lonnie Liston Smith, Cedric Lawson AND MORE
* This is Miles taking it beyond the outer limits of jazz – capturing a time in history when he and his band were selling out stadiums worldwide!
* 120-page full-color booklet with brand new essays by arranger/composer Paul Buckmaster and music journalist Tom Terrell
* Includes dozens of rare photos, PLUS new illustrations from original illustrator Corky McCoy
* Produced by multi-Grammy® winners Bob Belden and Michael Cuscuna
* Amazing sound! 24-BIT DIGITALLY MASTERED BY GRAMMY-WINNING ENGINEER MARK WILDER
* The Miles Davis Deluxe Box Set series has garnered 8 Grammy® awards to date!
* View an in-depth video about how the On The Corner band emerged, including new interviews with band members Michael Henderson, Dave Liebman and Pete Cosey FILMED ON LOCATION AT MILES’ FORMER RESIDENCE IN NEW YORK CITY.