- Over 4 hours of newly-discovered music of Miles' last great band
- Features Keith Jarret on electric organ/piano!, John McLaughlin, Jack DeJohnette, Gary Bartz, Motown bassist Michael Henderson, and Airto
- Fiery, passionate, intense, futuristic - Miles at his blistering best!
- Prior to this release, this band went almost undocumented
- 96-page, full-color book with brand new essays/reflections by each band member
- Impeccable sound! - 24-BIT DIGITALLY REMASTERED
- The Miles Davis Deluxe Box Set series has garnered 8 Grammy awards to date!
Here is the Miles Davis collection that his legions of American fans have most eagerly awaited. The Cellar Door Sessions documents the great trumpeter-bandleader David at the helm of one of his most stimulating and electrifying groups.
The sextet on The Cellar Door's bandstand - Davis, saxophonist Gary Bartz, Keith Jarret (playing electric organ and electric piano), Motown bassist Michael Henderson, drummer Jack DeJohnette, and percussionist Airto Moreira - is a sheer marvel of kinetic energy. And adding more visionary pyrotechnics is the blazing guitar of John McLaughlin. Every member of this Davis band has subsequently proved to be a major figure in jazz; in his own way, each has placed a highly personal stamp on improvisation during the past 35 years.
In 1969, Miles told Downbeat's Don DeMichael, "I could put together the greatest f*&%$g rock band you ever heard." Well, here it is - a band breaking on through to another side - the fearless and peerless territories of funkmeisters James Brown and Sly Stone, and rock deity Jimi Hendrix. The music on these six discs, running nearly six hours, adds up to a stunning document of the sonic cross-breeding spearheaded by Miles and his "children."
Bringing additional luster to this deluxe package are six highly-individual essays of four unforgettable nights by each of the men who, with their leader, were exploring the heavens and creating the music that elevates The Cellar Door.