EVERYTHING’S BEAUTIFUL is a beautifully crafted collection produced by Robert Glasper, blending a diverse group of master takes and outtakes from across the incomparable Miles Davis Columbia catalog with an impressive lineup of contemporary artists and musicians to create original interpretations.
“I didn’t want to do just a remix record,” Glasper noted when discussing the 11-song set. “My idea was to show how Miles inspired people to make new art.” Realizing that “Miles didn’t have one audience,” Glasper recruited a legion of diverse guest artists to add to the magic of the project including familiar collaborators like R&B musicians Erykah Badu, Ledisi, Bilal and KING. They are joined by British soul singer-songwriter Laura Mvula; hip-hop producer Rashad Smith; Grammy-nominated Australian neo-soul quartet Hiatus Kaiyote, rapper/singer Phonte, rapper/producer Illa J; jazz guitarist John Scofield, who was in Miles Davis’ band; and the legendary Stevie Wonder.
“I wanted to do something where we can take some of Miles’ ideas, shake them up, and try to show the influence of Miles and make new things. And that’s the beauty of this whole album. The whole project is based on Miles, but it is based on Miles’ vision, it’s based on Miles’ trumpet, it’s based on Miles’ voice, it’s based on Miles’ composition, it’s based on Miles’ influence, it’s based on Miles’ swag.”
- “Talking Shit”
- “Ghetto Walkin” featuring Bilal
- “They Can’t Hold Me Down” featuring Illa J
- “Maiysha (So Long)” featuring Erykah Badu
- “Violets” featuring Phonte
- “Little Church” featuring Hiatus Kaiyote
- “Silence Is The Way” featuring Laura Mvula
- “Song For Selim” featuring KING
- “Milestones” featuring Georgia Ann Muldrow
- “I’m Leaving You” featuring John Scofield and Ledisi
- “Right On Brotha” featuring Stevie Wonder